Having a balcony can be a lovely addition to your home. It provides a private outdoor space where you can relax, entertain, or grow plants. However, balconies can easily become dirty, dusty, and unsightly if not properly cleaned and maintained. Learning how to thoroughly clean your balcony floors will help keep your outdoor space looking its best.
Table of Contents
Assess the Flooring Type
The first step is identifying what type of flooring your balcony has. Common balcony flooring options include:
- Concrete – The most affordable and durable option, but requires sealing to prevent stains.
- Tile – Easy to clean but can crack and fade over time, especially with harsh weather exposure.
- Wood – Requires sealing and can easily warp if exposed to lots of moisture.
- Outdoor carpet – Absorbs spills and needs frequent thorough cleaning.
- Decking – Needs sealing and can develop mildew if not cared for.
Knowing your specific flooring type will inform what cleaning methods and products to use.
Sweep Away Debris
Before any wet cleaning, do a thorough sweep of the entire balcony floor. Use a stiff broom to sweep up all loose dirt, leaves, pet hair, spiderwebs, and other debris. Make sure to sweep along the balcony edges and corners. Having a clean slate will make mopping much more effective.
Use the Right Cleaning Tools
Having the proper cleaning tools for the job will make cleaning your balcony floors faster and easier. Useful supplies include:
- Mop and bucket – Choose a microfiber mop to effectively trap dirt. Use separate buckets for washing and rinsing.
- Scrub brush – For tougher stained areas, a stiff scrub brush can provide extra cleaning power.
- Sponge or rag – For wiping down railings and other tight spots. Microfiber cloths work well.
- Floor scraper – Helpful for removing stuck-on grime and paint splatters on concrete floors.
- Outdoor broom and dustpan – For quick balcony sweep-ups between deep cleanings.
Mix a Balcony Floor Cleaning Solution
For balcony floors, avoid using harsh chemical-laden cleaners that can seep into soil and groundwater. Opt for a natural cleaning solution of your choice that is safe for outdoor use. Here are some effective options:
- Vinegar – Mix 1 part white vinegar with 4 parts water for a chemical-free disinfecting solution. Rinse afterward.
- Baking soda – Sprinkle baking soda onto floor and use a wet sponge to scrub. Rinse thoroughly.
- Mild soap and water – Use a few drops of liquid castile or other mild vegetable oil soap per bucket of water.
- Tea tree oil mix – Add several drops of tea tree oil and lemon juice to water for an antibacterial solution.
Scrub Dirt Away
Use your chosen cleaner to thoroughly wash the entire balcony floor surface. Use a bit of extra elbow grease when scrubbing dirt-prone areas near doors, furniture, and railings. Allow the cleaning solution to sit for a few minutes to help break up stubborn grime before rinsing.
Be sure to fully extend your mop or scrub brush to reach into corners and crevices. Flip mop pads frequently to work with clean surfaces. Change rinse water often to prevent redepositing grime.
Seal and Protect Floors
For wood, concrete, and tile balcony floors, applying a protective sealer helps prevent future stains and damage. Use an outdoor-rated sealant made for your specific flooring type. Re-apply sealer once a year or as needed based on wear.
You can also safeguard balcony floors by adding outdoor floor mats. These catch excess dirt and absorbs spills, reducing damage to your floor’s surface. Use wall-mounted mats near doors to limit tracked-in messes.
Maintain With Regular Cleanings
The best way to keep balcony floors looking pristine is making quick clean-ups part of your regular routine. Do frequent light sweepings to prevent buildup. Spot mop spills when they happen to avoid staining. Deep clean the floors every few weeks using the steps outlined.
A well-cared for balcony floor not only looks nicer, but will also last much longer before needing repairs. By properly assessing, cleaning, sealing and maintaining your balcony floors, you’ll be able to enjoy your outdoor living space to the fullest.
Eco Cleaning Brisbane specialises in all types of residential and commercial cleaning services across Brisbane. With over 20 years of professional cleaning experience, our fully insured cleaners can provide a thorough balcony floor cleaning tailored exactly to your home and flooring type. Contact us today to receive a customised quote for your balcony cleaning needs.
FAQ About Cleaning Balcony Floors
✓How can I clean wood balcony floors safely?
Use a mild wood floor cleaner and damp mop to gently clean the boards. Make sure to sweep first and fully dry the floor after mopping. Reseal wood floors annually.
✓What is the best way to clean stained or dirty concrete balcony floors?
Mix baking soda and water into a paste and scrub stains. For trapped dirt, use an outdoor floor scraper. Mop with vinegar solution. Reseal annually.
✓How do I clean tile balcony floors without damaging the grout?
Sweep gently, then use a soft nylon brush and mild cleaner to scrub tile and grout. Rinse with clean water and repeat if needed. Avoid harsh chemicals.
✓Should I hire a professional to deep clean my outdoor balcony floors?
Yes, companies like Eco Cleaning Brisbane are trained to thoroughly clean all balcony floor types without causing harm using the proper methods and tools.